What is this course about?
The study of crop mites and insects, their morphology, identification, and life cycles, host/habitat relationship and the methods of control. Field trips are required.
Section # 0424
Location and Time
Lec. = Tues. 9:35 – 11:40 Zoom
Lab. = Thur. 9:35 – 12:40 ACE 180
Lab Final Thur., April 22, 2021; 9:35 - 12:40
Final Tues., April 27, 2021; 10:00 – 12:50
Office hours: M 10:10 - 11:10 am
M 2:00 - 3:00 pm
T 2:15 - 3:15 pm
W 3:00 - 4:00 pm
TH 6:50 - 7:50 am
Office hour will be held via zoom.
Office room number: Ag 118
Office phone number: 575-6209
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any textbook that will help you I.D. insects
Classroom disturbances: Cell phones are to be
turned off while in the classroom and lab. If you
are seen using a cell phone, you will be asked to leave the lecture or lab.
Students must come prepared for lecture & lab or you will be asked to leave. (proper lab apparel)
No Electron devices are allowed in lecture or lab.
Grading and Evaluation:
Grades are earned by the students and are a reflection of their effort and understanding of the material. Class participation is important and graded. All homework must be typed, double-spaced, 1” margins, 12-point font, & Times New Roman. Pop quizzes will not be made up under any conditions. There will be no late assignment accepted. No make-up exams will be given. You may check the status of your grade during office hours only throughout the semester. Student must be present to be eligible for any assignment handed out in class.
The syllabus is tentative. There will be many other activities, assignments and topics covered during the course of the semester and the syllabus will be adjusted accordingly.
A 90-100% D 60-69%
B 80-89% F Below 59%
Tests, Quizzes, Homework, & Classroom
MJC Agriculture Farm Lab - West Campus
Library - 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. - Monday - Thursday; 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Friday
Research Information Course - CD ROM Database and OPUS
Library and Agriculture Computer Lab
Career Development Center- 575-6239
MJC Degree Application
MJC Certificate Application
Course Syllabus part 2
INSECT COLLECTION DUE:
April 8, 2021
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. The economic aspects, both harmful and
beneficial, of insects and related pests to
2. Fundamental characteristics of insect
morphology, habits, and life history.
3. Basic insect classification.
4. General principles of insect control.
5. Current insecticide recommendations.
6. Current legal aspects of control.
7. Insects common to the crops of the region.
8. Basic insect terminology.
9. Where to go for information concerning insect
1. Describe the essential morphology of an insect.
2. Evaluate an insect specimen as to life cycle,
stage, and kind of host damage.
3. Identify and describe local crop insects.
4. Make a crop survey and recognize insect
5. Sweep a field for insect specimens.
6. Estimate critical levels in an insect population.
7. Select possible methods and timing of control
in a given circumstance.
8. Select specific insecticides and calculate
dilutions and application rates.
9. Collect, classify, and mount an insect.
1. Laboratory dissections of typical specimens.
2. Field collection of insect specimens.
3. Identification of field and laboratory
4. Survey crops for insect damage.
5. Laboratory insecticide experiments.
6. Viewing of participating in commercial
7. Preparing and classifying an insect collection
8. Discussion of insect problems with local
commercial representatives, farmers, or other.
Student Learning Outcome
After the student is given instruction on identifying insects and closely related plant pests. In addition to selecting possible methods and timing to control a pest problem in a given situation they will be able to design an IPM to control or eradicate the pests in question on a term project.
Notes, Lab. Information, ect..
Lab notebook instructions
Insect collection instructions
WE ARE GOING OUT IN THE FIELD FOR LAB #
Introduction Lab #1
History of Pest Management Lab #2
Entomology Lab #3
Insect Behavior Lab #4
Entomology Symptoms Lab #5
Insect Control Lab #6
Parts of an Insect Lab #7
The Insect Internally Lab #8
Insect Orders Lab #9
Insect ID Lab #10
Keying an Insect Lab #11
Plant Pest Lab #12 Lab 12 part 2
Fruit Tree Insects Lab #13
FYI - Plant Pesticides Lab #14
Cole Crops & Tomato Insects
Urban & Ornamental Insects